Linux!

All things related to those wonderful machines we love to hate.
Wigglytuff

Linux!

Postby Wigglytuff » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:14 pm

I think the world would be a better place if we all were to eat each other's poop

stranglerfish

Re: Linux!

Postby stranglerfish » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:21 am

I've only just recently decided to start using Linux, so I won't be able to go into as much detail as you might expect but here goes:

*NOTE* I am a self-professed noob, don't flame me for making 'stupid' decisions! ;)

Which distribution do you use and why?
I've currently decided to stick with Fedora (22), though I couldn't exactly say why. It was the distro we were required to use in my C programming course, and thus the one I'm most familiar with. When I was trying out different distros, I started with lubuntu but that was a bit too bare bones for me. Then Ubuntu, and that was too bloated. So I tried out Mint, which seemed okay but I figured I may as well just switch back to Fedora and use Cinnamon UI. So that's where I'm at right now, in the future I'd like to try Linux From Scratch just to gain a solid understanding of how Linux works.

Which window manager do you use and why?
I dunno...whichever comes with Cinnamon, I think it's called Muffin?

What are your top 10 favorite tools? (I can't think of even close to 10):
-Fish shell, adds better auto-completion and history to bash, among probably a ton of things I've yet to discover. So far I'm really loving it.
-Not sure if they count as 'tools' per se, but I recently discovered the pushd and popd commands which save a lot of typing
-Again, not sure if it's a 'tool' but I also recently learned about creating aliases, which I'm pretty excited about
-For text editing I like to use sublime if I've got a mouse, vim if I don't
-For music, I use Clementine player (ftw!) and I've edited fstab and created an alias so that when I boot up I can just type 'mountMusic' in Fish and my Windows shared music folder gets mounted. Again, not a specific tool but as I'm a noob I find it to be a nifty little customization nonetheless.
-Valgrind, was pretty much essential during my last semester when getting into memory management in my C++ course.

Do you do any programming? If so, which language(s)?
Yes, I do. I've always preferred C, though I think that's largely because it was basically my first language. I've got experience with C/C++/Java, and after a lengthy break from coding in any language after last semester, I've decided to start learning Python by doing a few small projects to keep me sharp. I've also got an Arduino and Teensyduino I wanna start tinkering with. If anyone reads this and has small project ideas that they could put me on just to help me gain experience / teach me some stuff, I'd really appreciate some hands on experience (school assignments are silly, I don't care about sorting earthquake records! I want something fun to keep me interested!). Or just if you feel like showing off your knowledge about something, I'm all ears!

Which IRC client do you use and why?
I use Hexchat, simply because someone recommended it to me and I don't care to customize or anything so it does the trick.

Wigglytuff

Postby Wigglytuff » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Raspberry Pis are great little tinkerer tools for getting into Linux. I'm probably going to get an Arduino and a Raspberry Pi 2 (already have a B+) next month. Thinking about doing things with LEDs and stuff.

I always found programming tasks in formal education to be tiresome - I've always had a lot more fun doing the things I find the most awesome. Self-tuition seems to be the thing to do if you want to get into software engineering or the like.

Fish was interesting to me because of it's nice syntax highlighting, so I found a zsh plugin which did the same thing and added it to my terminal :P
I think the world would be a better place if we all were to eat each other's poop

stranglerfish

Postby stranglerfish » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:07 pm

benj

Postby benj » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:44 am

Aye.

I used to be an Arch-hound, and did the whole do everything manually shtick but after a few months of that I got just sick of that and ended up crawling back to windows. These days I have a DigitalOcean VPS with Ubuntu server that I into to get work done. My main device these days is a chromebook. All my work is web stuff so this works perfect for me.

I used to run , it made me feel very smart. These days I don't even use X, tmux does everything I need.

What are your top 10 favourite tools?
emacs - It is the best editor, even if its a little obtuse at times
tmux - super convenient and gets out of your way
weechat - does irc, pretty simple
httpie - a sane version of curl
zsh/oh-my-zsh - much improved shell
git - vcs that isnt horrible
magit - best interface for git
mosh - ssh but better
vagrant - get the same dev environment everytime
pushd/popd - so much nicer than cd ..

I do ruby stuff for work, ruby is the best. I used to dabble with haskell and stuff like that but I dont really have the inclination for that anymore. Ruby gets stuff done. Python is nice too.

Which IRC client do you use and why? If it's not WeeChat, why isn't it WeeChat?
It's weechat

Limeth

Postby Limeth » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Aye.

Mainly elementaryOS, but I've recently installed Kubuntu on my laptop. I decide by the looks of distros.

I think that would be Pantheon in elementaryOS, if I'm not mistaken. Never really bothered to tinker with those.

What are your top 10 favourite tools?
git, vim, apt, chromium-browser, links, less, cat/head/tail, oh-my-zsh, , locate

Started out writing mods for Minecraft in Java, done some websites in php (never again), currently learning a little python for django and javascript for nodejs. Also wanting to learn Vala, because that's what applications for eOS are made with.

Which IRC client do you use and why? If it's not WeeChat, why isn't it WeeChat?
Quassel, because I like GUIs. Never heard of WeeChat before.

Return to “Computer Science”