Infinite Jest

Discussion of your favourite literature
reality
Site Admin

Infinite Jest

Postby reality » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 pm

The big one. DFW's magnum opus and all-round regarded as something to behold, for its sheer size and breadth of topic if not for its quality.

I started reading this book around two weeks ago, and I'm about 200 pages in. As with books of this size (and intensity) I'm having a little trouble just dipping in and out, though I find it fairly immersive once I get going. Not a big fan of the liberal use of footnotes at the end, though I'm told this is an intentional tool used to model the 'disorganised' mind. So far there are some interesting topics, particularly of relevance and interest to those who have been around drugs or drug culture.

Have you read Infinite Jest? Are you reading it now? Will you ever read it? What did you think, if you did?
reality
TripSit Admin, Head Gardener

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Dread

Re: Infinite Jest

Postby Dread » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:27 pm

Never heard of it...
There the stars do not shine,
the sun is not visible,
the moon does not appear,
darkness is not found.

reality
Site Admin

Postby reality » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:37 pm

I would recommend it, it's pretty good.
reality

stranglerfish

Postby stranglerfish » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:24 am

Nice one Reality, I recall stumbling onto this quote once and have wanted to read Infinite Jest ever since: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/200381 ... ll-herself
A FWB of mine had it on his bookshelf and we ended up talking about it for a while, I'm hoping he'll lend it to me once he's done. Have you read any other DFW that you'd recommend?

reality
Site Admin

Postby reality » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:01 pm

Yeah the book is pretty dense and gives you a lot to think about, really wide subject matter - I'd recommend going for it!

It's the first novel I've read by him so far, but he does some good talks and essays too - I'd recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lu2e-q8ntM# (IMO everyone should see this) and the essay 'How Tracy Austin broke my heart' is a decent essay which kinda gives you an overview some of the kinds of themes he touches on in Infinite Jest too.
reality

Return to “Book Club”