What's up with Reddit right now?

Any discussion that does not belong in the other boards.
reality
Site Admin

What's up with Reddit right now?

Postby reality » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:56 pm

I've never been a huge fan of Reddit, apart from finding myself there when I'm procrastinating hard and all other methods of time-wasting are looking a bit quiet (IRC anyone?), but they've had their fair share of bad administrative decisions recently and the mass protests are getting pretty.. mass. I'm interested to see how it'll go, another Digg-type situation?
reality
TripSit Admin, Head Gardener

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Wigglytuff

Re: What's up with Reddit right now?

Postby Wigglytuff » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Well, the admins wrote that "apology" post on /r/announcements the other day. They didn't get a great response from that either - many saw it as half-arsed. I think that would've been Reddit's reaction to any apology no matter what, though. I dunno. I think maybe the admins will start cleaning their act up, but if not I think either a) a bigger will revolt happen eventually, forcing them to actually fix things or b) mass exodus to another website.

Who knows. Either way, it's interesting to watch. I think I agree that Reddit and its admins need to do some serious good work to keep the site as good as it has been. Or the whole thing will just blow over and everyone will forget it ever happened because the attention span of the Reddit community = 0.
I think the world would be a better place if we all were to eat each other's poop

reality
Site Admin

Re: What's up with Reddit right now?

Postby reality » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:39 pm

I sometimes wonder what it is the Reddit staff actually do all day, they don't curate the content (mods do that), there rarely seem to be new features, and the mods seem to be complaining at this point that the mod tools are just rubbish too...

I feel like maybe they try to keep things the same because they don't want to change the 'winning formula' but at some you've got to develop or it's just going to stagnate. That said, every decision they've made recently seems to have been a massive disaster when it comes to how the mods/users are receiving it.

As for a mass exodus, it might happen but the only real contender at the moment is Voat, and it seems that they just don't have the resources to be able to handle any major influx of users - whenever there's any drama on Reddit people flock over there and their servers just fall over.

And yeah, it may well just blow over. A lot of Reddit's users aren't really that involved or care much about the drama - they're just there to look at cute annotated pictures of pokemon, and even the people who are getting all fired up are just in it to stir the pot and then tend to just forget these things within a day or two anyway...
reality
TripSit Admin, Head Gardener

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Return to “General off-topic”